You can’t control everything. Sometimes you just need to relax and have faith that things will work out. Let go and let life happen.
Earlier this week we learned that Wiley Drive will be closed during our time at Smith Park. Parking will be tight, our walk direction needed to be changed due to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and we missed applying for a needed permit.
Whew – thanks for letting me vent. Now I am letting go and letting life, the walk, happen. I am concentrating on enjoying time with all of YOU.
Grace changes everything.
YOU have made this our largest walk (over 270 registered) and highest fundraising walk (over $30,000 and this does not include the challenge money of $20,000). THANK YOU!!!!
Things you NEED to know about the Walk
- Where is Smith Park? Near downtown Roanoke along the Roanoke River. The official address for the park is 1618 Wiley Dr.
- Where are we walking? We will walk from Smith Park along the greenway to the other end of Wasena Park and then turn around. The walk is 2 miles and for Roanoke fairly flat.
- What time is registration? Registration starts at 9:00 a.m. and runs through 10:00 a.m. Every one must check in. There will be three lines –
- Walkers who have registered online and have NO $ to turn in
- Walkers who registered online but do have $ to turn in
- Walkers who have not registered online
- What time is the walk? The walk will begin at 10:00 a.m. Due to the abundant blessing of walkers we will have rolling walk starts – most likely 9:20 and 9:40 as well as 10:00.
- Where can I get my shirt? Shirts are actually at the Center now for pick up. We will bring them to the walk for those who cannot stop by. We will also have any extras for sale at the walk for $10.00
- What if it rains, are we still walking? Yes
- The BIG question – where should I park? Please carpool if you can. There are tons of events happening along the Greenway this Saturday. Wiley Drive is closed. WE do have options –
- We do have permission to park at the Ramada Inn (1927 Franklin Rd). We will have someone there directing you where to park. The lot is fairly large.
- There is parking behind the Green Goat. This is a gravel road right before the railroad tracks heading towards Wiley Dr.
- There is parking along the greenway near the Green Goat.
If you have any questions, please call me. 540-362-3007×220
One more item to know – The greenway will be used by others as well as us. PLEASE only walk in pairs. There will be joggers, bikers, other walkers and we want to be courteous walkers. THANK YOU!!
It will be a fun morning – see you Saturday!!
Development Events Manager
P.S. Tomorrow is the day. The weather is looking better and better. The rain chance for the morning is low with partly cloudy skies – perfect weather for a walk. WE are in unchartered territory – we have over 300 registered walkers. This really is exciting. Thank you again!!!